Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Does your answer change?

This is going to be my first interactive post. By that i mean i am going to interact with you :) [Height of redundancy]

Let me begin with asking you a question - If i say that after TODAY things are going to change and you have no way to escape it. You have no idea how the change is going to be - Will it make things better - will it make things worse - or it will not change anything for YOU. How would you feel about the change ?
.
.
.
Pause a while - think - proceed
.
.
.
.
Would you feel afraid of the unknown? Would you feel anxious? Would you be curious? Would you give in to the fear of change and want to avoid the change? Or you would welcome it? Let me remind you that you have absolutely no idea what the change is going to be like?

Without the knowledge of any variable whatsoever involved, the probability of it being good/bad/neutral stand equally poised at 1/3 , 1/3 and 1/3. But still having this logical knowledge about the event - what is the feeling you get?

You want to avoid it - You look forward to it - You dont care about it ????

Please answer this for yourself now - How do you feel about that change which is going to happen and you have no idea about its effects?
Give it a serious thought before scrolling down.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Now replace TODAY with DEATH. Does your answer change?

9 comments:

  1. It did change, buts what's the point again? I chose to accept all changes readily, unless it was death.. Although, the older I get, more i think my answer would not change..

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dory : The point is death is an event that changes a few things - we avoid it more because of fear of unknown or fear of change. When in reality we are not at all aware whether it is a good / bad / or a neutral change. No one knows what happens after that. My point is that there is no point being afraid of death. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I see it, there are two catergories, so to say, of changes : the changes that you want and changes that happen. People take some actions in the hope that the changes that happen are the changes that they want. What I beleive in is to take these actions, and enjoy the changes as they come.
    In the case of second question, it is a change which is completely unknown and beyond our control (in that we cant take any action that wud have an impact).
    To answer your question, I do not see a change in my answer. I try to enjoy and relish the challenges life throws at me, and so wud I death throws at me... (I believe)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Hephaestus : You just explained - KARMANYEWA ADHIKARESTEY from gita :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Partially true...

    I do try and follow that gem...but have not been completely successful. Gita says that you should "never" worry about the implications of your actions..your motive for the actions should not be the fruit it bears..but i do carry a bit of hope that my actions result in the changes that I desired...

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely post ;)

    my answer, before i scrolled down ofcourse, was 'looking forward to the change' and i must admit the death situation made me rethink the answer, but not change it. i am now scared. don't know why. an omen, perhaps? :P

    i guess fear of death is fear of the supposed pain associated with it more than death as a change itself..

    ReplyDelete
  7. @vaidehipatil : Yes rightly said - we all fear and avoid pain but then the pain associated with birth doesnt make us 'not' look forward to it. The result of that pain is quite miraculous i must say - so probably this could also be one like that. Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It did not change... somehow... After reading the comments, I got confused... My answer should have changed... but it didn't...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @PP : It should not change - i wanted to isolate the preconceptions that we already have about death and think it as a event that is out of control - whose results we donot fully know.

    ReplyDelete